Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sci-Fi novel: a daily progress report.

Woot! I’m a writer again! I wrote 2 000 words yesterday and an entire chapter and already wrote 1 000 this morning of another new chapter. It’s shit, as usual, but I’ve come to terms with the fact that my first draft is more like a set of notes following a, more or less, chronological order. Everything needs to be re-written anyway, to reflect the recent changes I’ve made. There might be a bit of an intimate scene between Amber and Keith (which would tie nicely with what I’m currently writing) and I will cancel the scene between Janet and Adrianne, which was stupid and badly timed to begin with anyway (you have no idea what I'm talking about, but that's OK. One day, I'll share). Also, I will refrain myself from making scientific explanations or go too far into how things work. What matters most is the story and feelings I’m trying to convey. And I am no scientist (much to my regret). I will leave the current and future generations, who may or may not take a liking in my story, explain the science. The same way they did with technology seen in Star Trek such as cell phones and Ipads. However, I will try to avoid common science mistakes such as including sounds in space! No, I will replace the science-stuff with colorful and lengthy descriptions, sensations and feelings. Everything in the story is HUGE! The J-Rex station is humongous! And the Aries is quite a big ship for only 5 people. And although, she is quite huge, she is also tiny compared to other ships of the mercantile fleet. I want everything to be gloriously out of proportion.

Read, read, read, write, write, and write... my new motto!

I have determined, this morning, that I’ve had a writer’s block since April. And I’m pretty glad to be back on track, let me tell ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment